Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Burn Baby Burn!!!!

On Friday Chip had a controlled burn done on one of his pastures.  In our area we do not see a lot of pasture burns, so it was really neat to watch.  Burning a pasture is a great way to reduce weeds and the small cedar trees that grow voluntarily.
It was a big production.  There were 4 firemen there with their firetrucks to help keep things under control.  Kyle and Matt Ehlers were in charge of starting the fires.  It sounds like they had  a great time!  Several neighbors were there to help as well as the guy who actually does the burns. 



The before picture of the pasture.

The start of the fire

Chip, Aubree & Jenae cruising around on the 4 wheeler supervising.

Marilyn and Aubree with the fire in the background.

The fire made its way across the pasture.

The flames got pretty big at times!

These were some smoke tornadoes that formed.  The wind must have been just right in order to get them to form.  They looked like real tornadoes and went really high into the sky.  It was so neat.



The after picture.  Once the burn was all complete. 



Saturday morning I got up early and met up with my Mom, Sister, Grandma, Aunts & Cousins for the annual shopping trip to Omaha.  I of course felt guilty leaving the girls home, but I knew it would not be fun for them or me if I took them a long.  It worked out good since Kyle was home.  It gave him a chance to be in charge  :-)  I had a really nice time.  It nice to spend the day visiting and catching up with everyone.  Kyle said the girls did not even seem to notice I was gone. I left before they woke up on Saturday and I guess they did not even ask where I was when they woke up!  They spend most of the day hanging out over at Grandpa & Grammy's house.  I know they had a great time.  That evening Kyle decided to have some friends over.  He got the house vacuumed and picked up.  They went to the Chambers Corner for supper then all went back to our house to hang out.  It sounds like the kids had a great time playing.  I didn't get back to Newman Grove until 9:00 and I was pretty tired.  I ended up spending the night at my parents house and got up early yesterday morning.  I wanted to be home in time to go to church with Kyle and the girls.  Kyle had them all dress and ready when I got there.  I combed there hair quickly and away we went.  It was really foggy yesterday morning.  When we left for church, Chip was outside in his tractor.  Aubree thought that Chip's tractor exhaust was sure making a lot of smoke!  Kyle had to explain it was fog in the air not smoke!!! 

It was so nice yesterday.  We spend most of the day out and about.  We went with Kyle to check the cows.  One of the cows was prolapsing.  It was so funny to sit back and listen to the girls try to figure out what was going on.  Jenae thought the mass coming out of the cow's back end was the calf starting to come out.  Aubree quickly said to her "no it's not Jenae....it is the cow's water bag!"  Neither of them were correct, Kyle tried to explain it the most delicate way he could! 

Jenae has been working with %'s and fractions in school.  Kyle and I try to take normal life things and apply to what she is working on at school.  Somehow we got on the conversations of percentages.  I asked her "if you had all of something what percent would you have?".  She did not quite get was I was asking her.  Kyle added "If something was perfect what would you have."  You could see her wheels spinning in her head and she finally responded "God...He is the only thing that is perfect!"  Such a deep thought for a little girl!!!  Kyle then said "if you got a perfect grade on a paper what % would you have"  She smiled and said "100!"    It is the simple times that make life so entertaining!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment