Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

That’s What Parents Are For


As we are headed into Father’s Day weekend, I find myself really missing my Dad.  It has been almost 3 months since God called him to his heavenly home and I still have such a range of emotions.  I want to dedicate this post to my Dad and what an amazing Father he was.  I am so fortunate for the 34 years he was with me on this Earth.  He was a man who sacrificed   his own dreams to let his kids have  amazing childhood's.  The last time I saw my Dad was after I got back from my trip to Houston TX.  Kyle had qualified for the rodeo there, and I had mentioned to my Dad that I would like to go.  He was the one instrumental in getting me to book my plane ticket and said to “go & have fun!  He and Mom would keep Aubree & Whitney while Jenae stayed back in Chambers with Chip & Marilyn so she wouldn’t miss school. 

I would like to share a little bit about my awesome Dad and my last memory of him. 

“That’s What Parents Are For”

 Kyle was already in Texas with the horses  and trailer and I was to fly out of Omaha to meet up with him.  I would then ride back to Nebraska with him so I just needed a one way ticket.  I like to fly out of Grand Island especially when I am flying just one way.  It is easy to stop and get my vehicle from Grand Island on my way home. When I started looking into flights, a ticket from Grand Island to Houston was almost $500 for a one way ticket.  When I saw those prices I decided to forgo my trip and save my money for another trip with a more reasonable rate.  My parents knew how much I loved and wanted to go to Houston and one night my Mom called me to say she found a flight out of Omaha for $220.  I said “thanks..but no thanks….I did not want my vehicle left in Omaha as it is make the long trip home from Houston even longer.    Mom then said “your Dad said he would take you down to the airport and drop you off.”  I hated to have him take a whole afternoon to taxi me to the airport, but like I said before he was insistent that I go!  He made sure to make me feel like it was going to big deal  to take me to Omaha.
The morning I was headed out for Houston, I went to start my van and the battery was dead!  I had been having some problems with my van battery & my van is a 2011 Chrysler Town & Country , it is a new enough vehicle that I should not have been having trouble with the battery. Chip came over and got my van jumped and said “maybe your Dad could put a new battery in your van while it is parked at his house”  I mentioned it to Mom, what Chip had said and she said she would talk to Dad about it, but I never said anything to Dad about it.  I didn’t want to make him feel bad if he didn’t get around to it….but who am I kidding, I knew my Dad would take care of it for me as that is just the kind of Dad he was. 
I get down to Dad & Mom’s house with Aubree and Whitney right at noon.  Mom fixed Prime Rib for dinner and we had such a nice time visiting and enjoying our yummy meal mom had fixed for us.  Dad said “well, are you ready to get going?” I said my good byes to the girls and off we went.  I had asked Dad if he would want to take me down to Omaha in my van and he laughed and said “NO!”  I knew my Dad would insist on taking his car, but I wanted to offer.  I said “will you at least let me give you money to cover the gas on the way down”  Again he laughed at me and said “no, get in the car!”   I said Dad, but you are doing so much to help me out, you’re watching my kids & taking your afternoon to drive me to Omaha the least I can do is pay you some money for gas”  Dad responded with “That is what parents are for, Halie” 
We had an awesome visit all the way to Omaha.  Reminiscing about the good ol’ days.  He drops me off at the gate and threw a $100 bill on my lap and says “go have fun!”  I knew better than to argue with my Dad over money, he would always win, but I said “Dad, no, I am not taking your money.  You are already doing so much for me”  Dad replied again “That’s what parents are for, Halie”
I went on to Houston and had a fabulous time with Kyle.  We made the long drive back to Nebraska and Kyle dropped me off at Dad & Mom’s house so I could get my vehicle and pick up the girls.  When we pulled into the driveway I noticed my van was no longer covered in mud, but all shinny and clean.  Dad had taken it into the manual car wash on a February day and washed it all up by hand for me.  I then went in the house after visiting for a while  Dad said “I got you a new battery for your van.  It is an interstate brand battery with a 5 year warranty on it.  You will have no more trouble with your battery”  I was so happy he had taken care of it for me.  I pulled out my check book and started writing out the check and said how much was it?”  Dad says “don’t worry about it.”  I said “Dad, I AM paying you for this.”   He said “no you’re not….Happy Birthday Halie”  Well my birthday is this Sunday.  Who would have thought that last time I saw my Dad he would have given me my birthday present 4 months early. 
I sat around and visited a little while with Dad & Mom before loading up and heading home. When I started to haul my girls bags to the van I noticed not only had my Dad washed my van, but he vacuumed it out and had the inside shining just as much as the outside.  I went in and thanked Dad again for what he had all done for me and my vehicle and he said “That’s what parents are for” 
After I headed for home, I looked down at my gas gage and saw it was full!  My Dad also made sure I had a full tank of gas to drive home on. 
I am so thankful that I have this wonderful memory of my Dad.  It is just one story of how giving and generous my Dad was.  He was an awesome guy and I am so glad God gave him to me as my earthly father for 34 ½ years!    

No comments:

Post a Comment