Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Calving season is officially here on the Whitaker Ranch

Calving season is officially here on the Whitaker Ranch. Jenae & Aubree are thrilled to have the little calves arriving.

Kyle was soaking up the sun in Texas all weekend and Chip was need to get some cattle work done so Chip had to rely on the ''B'' team or second stringers to help (Ben, Hope & myself). Hope and I helped Chip move the cattle from our place to their place. Ben helped us sort the cows from the heifers and then we took the cows back to our place and left the heifers at Chip's place. It all went very smooth and we managed to have a good time even though temperature was only in the 20's. Marilyn kept the kids in the house for most of the day and cooked us an awesome dinner. Jenae & Bree did get to come out to ride a little bit but it was too cold for Trey to take a ride.

Sunday morning Chip had a set of twins born. It was lucky he found them right away with as cold as it is. Jenae and Aubree were very excited to get to help. One took off to sucking from its Mom so Jenae named that one ''Sucker''. The other one need a little more attention to get going in this world and Jenae named that one ''Nelson''. She said it just looked like a Nelson. I am not sure what a Nelson looks like :-). Both calves are doing well.

It was nice to get out of the house a little bit this weekend. I think the fresh air did us some good even if it was cold fresh air.

This past week our barn has been having a strong skunk smell and last few night I did chores I have been convinced the skunk was living in the barn. The horses needed to be fed so I put on my big girl pants and went into the barn to get the grain. I of course had Buster by my side just incase I would see the skunk. Luckily I never did see anything. Yesterday Chip went through the barn and found the skunk living in the lean to shed that connects to the barn. I am very thankful that Chip found him and took care of the situation. If I would have came face to face with the skunk Kyle probably would have heard my scream all the way in TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment