Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Some people!!!

It amazes me the differences in some people and the society we live in. Some people you have mishaps or incidences with are understanding and willing to work with you and help you out, for example our trip to Pocatello, ID this past spring when Kyle & I had our fair share of troubles along the way. There were so many strangers that went out of there way to help us out. The situation I am about to share with you show the extreme of the other side of how some people can be.
I spent most of the morning on the phone with a client. He called first thing this morning to ask if the towing coverage he had on his vehicle would cover a friend's pick up if he was driving. He went on to tell me that he had hit something on the way home from a rodeo in the middle of the night and it went up under the pickup and broke open the gas tank. They had to call a tow truck to get them towed off the interstate. I did some checking and found out his towing coverage would extend. There was a dealership across the interstate and they got the pick up over there and were waiting for the pick up to be fixed. About 20 minutes later I get a call back from him. He had left his horses on the trailer that night since it was a cement parking lot. He wanted to get them out and let them get some exercise. Some idiot had parked his pickup right behind my clients trailer. It was a huge parking lot and he could have parked anywhere but he choose to park right behind the trailer. Since the pickup was in the repair shop they had no way to pull the trailer ahead. My insured tried to squeeze the horse out and the horse ended up putting a dent in the guys pickup. The guy eventually came out to find his pick up with the dent and insisted on calling the cops. The guy said his deductible was $750 and that my insured need to pay cash or put it on his credit card since he was from out of state.(They were in TX) The cop basically bullied him and said if the guy wants to press charges he would have to write up a ticket for negligent something or other or my insured could just pay him and be done. I talked to both the idiot guy and the idiot cop and said we would submit the claim under the homeowners policy. The cop tried to tell me my client failed to report the accident and I think that was one thing they were going to ticket him for. I said to the cop "how did he fail to report it??? He didn't leave the site of the accident? He was here when the guy came out and found his pickup" The cop was a real jerk and would not respond and handed the phone back to my insured. I could not believe it!!!He knew I was right and apparently did not know how to respond to me. When I tried to talk to the guy to let him try to put through a claim on my insureds homeowners policy he was also a huge jerk. My client to avoid getting a ticket decided to just pay the jerk and be done. I told him to ask to see his insurance card to verify his deductible before he paid it. The guy did not want to show the card. Can you guess why??? Because he only had a $500 deductible not a $750. I was on the phone with my client when I he finally got to see the card. I heard my client say "come on man.... you said your deductible was $750.....let me just pay you the $500." They guy said "Nope I want $750 because I might not even get it fixed!!!!" Some people!!!!! I know there are a lot of good law enforcement people out there, but I can not even believe how this cop totally abused his power and bullied someone like that. It it probably because it was a Nebraskan and they know the Huskers are going to stomp all over their Horns in a couple days. Go Big Red!!!! Teach Texas a lesson :-)

I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around. I hope both the guy and the police officer get what is coming to them someday KARMA!!!!

I asked my insured why he paid the $750 and he said that was the only way the guy was not going to press charges. That really does not seem legal to me. I would love to hear from any of my lawyer readers on there thoughts on this situation.

2 comments:

  1. Halie - that was an interesting story - no wonder you were having a frustrating day!! Did your insured end up paying the $500 or even $750? What a scam - why would he need an extra $250 if he wasn't even going to fix it!! You can't trust anyone anymore - did you get the officer's name - maybe the insured could report him. Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I updated my blog with a little more details. He did pay the $750. I am still mad today about it. The dent the horse put in the hood was only as big as a fist and I am sure it was not a very deep dent. A friend of mine hit a deer and put small dent in the hood of her car and said it only cost $400 to fix. I would think this guys vehicle would be that our less to pop the dent out.

    ReplyDelete