Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

In loving memory of Alton H. Noble

These past 2 weeks seem like a blur to me. From our trip to Louisville to losing my Grandpa. Since Tuesday I have not gotten on the internet at all. No blogging, no facebook. In some ways it was nice to be out of touch with the rest of the world during this time.
I am still really sad about the loss of my Grandpa. I thought I would handle it better than I am. He has had major health issued for the past 9 years and there were many times in those years that we came close to losing him. I think there is a small part of me that thought we he got bad this time that somehow he would pull out of it and it is just now sinking in that he is really gone. I know he is in a much better place, but that still doesn’t make me miss him less.
Grandpa was such a neat person. 8 years ago he was in the Madonna Rehab center recovering from Gillian Barrett syndrome. He made such an impression on his therapist that 2 of them made the trip from Lincoln to Albion to pay their respects. I was very moved by them coming. I obviously thought a lot of my Grandpa, but I to think that others that were just involved in his life for such a short time span would take time from their busy lives to attend his funeral or visitation speaks volumes as to what people thought of him.
The funeral was a very nice service. The soloist had a beautiful voice and sang songs that my Grandpa loved, Old Rugged Cross, One Day at a Time & Wings of a Dove. My sister & I both spoke about Grandpa.

This is what I said:

Grandpa Bubbles ....that is my earliest memory of my Grandpa. My sister, Danielle & I had a hard time saying Noble, so he was Grandpa Bubbles to us. He would come for a visit with pockets full of smarites candies & butterscotch disks which we called Grandpa Bubble’s candy. I was very surprised when I got a little older and discovered the candy was not actually called that.

Thanking back Grandpa Bubbles is actually very appropriate when referring to my Grandpa. He was a very happy person who always had a smile on his face. In my 32 years I was fortunate to share with Grandpa, I never heard him say a bad thing about another person. I never heard a negative comment about anything come from Grandpa, even when his Huskers were down & out with a bad game or bad season.

I have so many wonderful memories of my Grandpa.
• Going to Charlie’s for ice cream
• Spending a couple of days/nights in the summer at Grandpa & Grandma’s house for our “vacation”
• Taking walks around town in the evenings
• Going for rides in the red Ford LTD
• And looking forward to times when he and Grandma would come over for a visit. If it was in the summer you cold bet that Grandpa would come in the house carrying a carton of Charlie’s ice cream. Something that we all enjoyed.

These are just a few of many memories of my Grandpa that I have. He was a very supportive Grandpa. I do not think he missed one Christmas Program or school event. He came to Grandparents day at school every year & he loved to come over and watch us ride our horses. Every time I saw him he had a smile on his face.
Grandpa adored his children, grandchildren & great grandchildren & we all thought the world of him.

Grandpa & Grandma were married 63 years. Anyone who knew them could see they were true sweethearts. They had a very special marriage, a marriage that was full of love & admiration for each other. It was obvious to anyone around them that they were still very much in love after 63 years together.

In addition to his family, my Grandpa had a love for farming & the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Grandpa farmed from the time he was a little boy until he was forced to retire at the age of 49 due to a heart attack. Every year he enjoyed hearing how much the calves sold or and how big the corn crop was. He loved to reminiscence about the good ol’ days & talk about how farming has changed over the years.

In the fall Grandpa looked forward to Husker Football games. I regret to say I never watched a game with Grandpa but Grandma told me that he watched very quietly but he watched very intensely. He loved to talk about the games and no matter what struggles the huskers may be having he had a way to put a positive spin on the season.

Grandpa was a very special person. He was one of those people that if you knew him you loved him. I am really going to miss Grandpa. I am going to miss his smile & his outlook on life. I am thankful that God shared this wonderful man with us for 83 years before taking him home.

He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.


This is what Danielle said about Grandpa:



Grandpa was a gentle, kind, loving man. He was always so happy to see us when we would stop by for a visit. Grandpa’s love for his family was felt by everyone, and we loved him very much.


Grandpa has been such an inspiration to me. It was 8 years ago in March when Grandpa was diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome. He survived, but he was paralyzed. Grandpa spent almost a year at Madonna in Lincoln learning to walk again. I lived in Lincoln part of the time he was there and I feel like I got to know him a lot better during that time. There wasn’t a day that I went to see him that he didn’t have a smile on his face and a positive attitude. He has been through so much but always rose to the challenge to fight on. Grandpa had so much strength inside and out, which I believe is due to his strong faith and his love for his family.


Another way Grandpa has inspired me is by his loving marriage to Grandma. The love they shared was so real and it showed. During one of my many talks with Grandpa while he was at Madonna he told me that he and Grandma never had a fight, and I find that incredible. It exemplified the deep love they shared for one another. If we could all have half the love they shared for each other in our relationships - this world would be a better place.


As Grandpa would have it, I think we should celebrate an exceptional man’s great life. Everything he stood for teaches there is life after death.


Grandpa, I’m glad we were able to share your life with you. I can’t image it without you - I miss you already, but you are healed now and I’m thankful you are free of pain. I’m sure you are having a happy reunion with your family that has gone before you.


Grandpa, you’ve inspired me in so many ways - Thank you Grandpa - I love you.



Jenae & Aubree had a connection to Grandpa as well. Jenae seems to have a good understanding of death and eternity. Aubree on the other hand was a little more confused, which is to be expected for a 3 year old. She was very intrigued by the casket and the fact that Grandpa’s body was in it. I had told her Grandpa was in Heaven now. When we were at the funeral home she said to me “is this Heaven Mommy?” I tried to do my best to explain it to her. Death is confusing to kiddos, but it is a good chance to talk about Heaven, God & Jesus.
I stayed at my parents house until yesterday afternoon. Being together as a family at the time of a death is such an important part of the healing process, something I needed. Life goes on and Grandpa would want us to continue on with life as it was before. A friend of mine gave me a stone that says “When someone you love become a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.”
Grandpa lived life to the fullest and he has inspired me to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment